Our domestic building lawyers highly recommend that you come to see us before you sign a building contract, however if the contract is already signed and there is a disagreement, we are here to help and advise you on your options. We act for builders, sub contractors and tradespeople as well as home owners.
Our domestic building legal services include advice on:
- The building contract- let us check it for you before you sign
- Pre-building check lists - depending on the amount the building works are worth – will include: e.g. quotes, contracts, insurance, is the builder registered, compliance certificates from plumbers and electricians, etc.
- Progress payments, construction stages and variances in payment schedules
- Variations in the building works – a common source of dispute as it can result in cost increases
- Building defects – breach of the builder's implied warranties, failure to meet the standard or quality of work as specified in the contract
- Building delays – a major domestic building contract must provide owners with certainty as to the building timetable, also setting out allowances for inclement weather, weekends, public holidays
- Termination of building contract by either the builder or the home owner
- Protection works – owners proposing to carry out building works (including demolition and removal) have obligations to protect adjoining property from potential damage
There are a number of websites with information for both builders and tradespeople and also home owners such as the DBDRV. Click here for the websites.
Visit our law firm for more.