Child Support Lawyers

In most cases, support for children under 18 is determined outside the Court system by administrative assessment under the Child Support (Assessment) Act 1989.

The amount of support is determined in accordance with a fixed legislative formula based on the income of each of the parents. Parents are obliged to financially support their children.

The Act provides for a departure from administrative assessment in a range of circumstances. In those cases a parent is usually required to first make an application for change of assessment to the Child Support Agency. Some decisions can be reviewed independently by appealing to the Social Security Appeals Tribunal (SSAT), the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT), or a Court, depending on the circumstances of the case.

To gain an idea about what your rights and obligations are please visit Department of Human Services website's Parent's Guide to Child Support.

For an appointments to see our family and divorce lawyers please call Melbourne 03 9629 7411; or Mount Waverley 03 9550 4600.

Visit our law firm for more.

Law Institute of Victoria Accredited Specialist